Leadership Development Program
Capsim's leadership development programs use highly engaging business simulations and assessments to train high-potential employees in a hands-on learning environment.
Leadership Development Series
The success of a business is heavily reliant on the awareness of its leaders. Capsim's leadership development series focuses on three levels of awareness: self, team, and business. Once participants build their awareness, they can more confidently engage in the programs. Engagement is the first step in connecting the dots between day-to-day responsibilities and the strategies set by the C-suite.
Each program can be implemented individually or as a series.
About Our Self Awareness Program
Understanding who we are and how we relate to others is important to leadership development at any level. Are we aware of our personality traits, values, and attitudes and how they affect our behaviors? Studies show that a high self-awareness is the strongest predictor of overall success.
During our leadership development program focused on self awareness, participants are guided through 360-degree feedback in nine managerial skill categories. We then identify skill gaps that allow for a more tailored professional development plan, as well as the ability to identify skills needed to create high-performing teams. Additionally, participants are guided through a Hogan feedback session to identify the “Dark-Side” of personality traits that may appear during times of stress and derail team leadership.
CapsimInbox is a predictively valid simulation-based assessment tool that provides managers an efficient and objective way to build self-awareness while identifying key skills in need of development in under 60 minutes.
In addition to the simulation experience, CapsimInbox guides managers through the creation of an Individual Development Plan that incorporate developmental tactics and the creation of S.M.A.R.T. goals for actionable next steps.
CapsimInbox comes in three flavors: General Management, People Management, and Ethical Decision Making.
General Management - Participants are the Director of Sales & Operations at a manufacturing company and are assessed on their ability to initiate, problem solve, organize, lead, and communicate.
People Management - Participants are Associate Principle at a management consulting firm and are assessed on the same General Management skills as well as their ability to acquire talent, structure work, manage talent and reward performance.
Ethical Decision Making - Participants are a General Manager at a boutique hotel and are assessed on their ability to recognize issues, investigate facts, identify stakeholders, generate solutions, and evaluate consequences.
Capsim360 is a multisource evaluation that measures nine key managerial skills and delivers data critical for self-reflection and developmental needs. Capsim360 is web-based, self-directed and can be completed in under 15 minutes.
About Our Team Awareness Program
Teams play a crucial role in today's workplace. Strategic and operational decisions are made by teams because they require a broader base of knowledge. The majority of individuals will belong to many teams throughout their careers and how they interact with those teams becomes increasingly important, particularly when they lead the team.
Leaders must be aware of team dynamics in order to harness individual strengths and protect against potential blind spots. Through the use of team assessment tools, our leadership development program focused on team awarness provides participants valuable insight into team dynamics. Adding an interactive business simulation experience provides the needed practice in new ways of working as a team.
TeamMATE is an online, self-directed assessment tool that improves team performance efficiently and effectively. It's easy-to-use and provides personalized developmental tactics based on evaluation data. Managers can reflect on strengths and weaknesses and are provided actionable steps to improve individual and team performance.
Effective leaders require an understanding of the complete business to achieve positive outcomes for the company. This means becoming an expert in functional areas of the business where they previously have had limited experience.
In our leadership development program focused on business awarness, participants run a simulated company and experience first-hand the functions of every department. This enables the breaking down of departmental silos and fosters team collaboration. Teams are responsible for choosing a strategy and aligning all decisions across departments to the strategy in order to achieve key metrics. The experience provides a realistic environment to help achieve the business-, team-, and self-awareness every leader needs to be successful.
Business acumen is the foundation to every successful leader. But what does business acumen really mean? To us here at Capsim, it means being skilled at:
- strategic thinking
- data-based decision making
- financial acumen
- understanding key metrics
In our leadership development program focused on business awareness, participants get a chance to practice and develop these critical skills in a safe and engaging simulated business environment. Participants will leave with an understanding of how decisions are made, why they're made and how they affect a company's bottom line.
Our Approach to Leadership Development
We subscribe to the Adult Learning Theory created by Malcolm Sheperd Knowles.
4 Assumptions of Adult Learners
- Self-Concept - As a person matures his/her self concept moves from one of being a dependent personality toward one of being a self-directed human being.
- Adult Learner Experience - As a person matures he/she accumulates a growing reservoir of experience that becomes an increasing resource for learning.
- Readiness to Learn - As a person matures his/her readiness to learn becomes oriented increasingly to the developmental tasks of his/her social roles.
- Orientation to Learning - As a person matures his/her time perspective changes from one of postponed application of knowledge to immediacy of application. As a result his/her orientation toward learning shifts from one of subject- centeredness to one of problem centeredness.
- Motivation to Learn - As a person matures the motivation to learn is internal
4 Principles of Andragogy
- Adults need to be involved in the planning and evaluation of their instruction.
- Experience (including mistakes) provides the basis for the learning activities.
- Adults are most interested in learning subjects that have immediate relevance and impact to their job or personal life.
- Adult learning is problem-centered rather than content-oriented.
Adragogy Application Examples
- There is a need to explain the reasons specific things are being taught (e.g., certain commands, functions, operations, etc.)
- Instruction should be task-oriented instead of promoting memorization -- learning activities should be in the context of common tasks to be performed by the others.
- Instruction should take into account the wide range of different backgrounds of learners; learning materials and activities should allow for different levels/types of previous experience with computers.
- Since adults are self-directed, instruction should allow learners to discover things and knowledge for themselves without depending on people. However, learners should be offered guidance and help when mistakes are made.
Resources on Leadership Development Programs
Leadership Awarness: Building a Better Leadership Development Program
Learn how you can optimize the leadership development experience and feel like you’re getting the most out of your program.Read White Paper
The Key Ingredients of Leadership Awareness
The secret ingredients to create a more in-depth and holistic leadership development program.View Infographic
See how DigitalGlobe improved team performance and business results with Capsim's Leadership Development Program.Read Case Study
Developing Leadership Awareness Through Experiential Learning
At the 2017 Training Conference, Joe LiVigni led a session on driving awareness through experiential leadership development programs.View Presentation
Designing Experiential Leadership Development Programs
Learn the some essentials when designing an experiential learning session.Read Article
See how PolyOne partnered with Capsim to improve collaboration and team-based decision making skills.Read Case Study
See how Cummins partnered with Capsim to improve their managers' strategic-decision-making skills.Read Case Study